Anglers wishing to Recreate with Fort Leonard Wood will need to follow these steps:


Step 1.   Installation Access

Make sure that you meet the access requirements and can access the installation.  Fort Leonard Wood is first and foremost a military installation.  Access is controlled and subject to change based on the security needs of the installation.  Please see the Installation Access Page and the Gate Information and Access Control Page on the Fort Leonard Wood web site.  Other than providing basic limited information, iSportsman does not facilitate or control the installation access process.


Step 2.   Set up Your iSportsman Account

Who has to set up an iSportman account?  If you plan on hunting or fishing anywhere on FLW you have to have an account.  If you plan on participating in other recreational activities (walking, birdwatching, dogwalking, etc.) outside of the cantonment area, you have to have an iSportsman account.  To set up an account click on "My Account" above and then click on the "Register" link.  During the registration process, you will be asked for your contact information and you may be required to acknowledge your agreement with some key requirements. 


Step 3.   Safety Training

Once you have an iSportsman account, you will need to view the Safety Brief (link below).  You must view the Safety Brief and pass a quiz before you will be able to purchase certain permits. 

Safety Brief

After viewing the training, you will need to take an easy quiz (link below) to validate that you have reviewed the Safety Brief.  Another link to the quiz can be found under "My Account" then logging in if needed, and then click "My Safety Briefs."

Safety Quiz

The safety training is good for 365 days.  iSportsman will send you an email reminder, but you are required to keep your training up-to-date.


Step 4.   Acquire Permits

2023 Permits are now available for purchase through iSportsman

Note: The 2023 Outdoor Recreation Permit is FREE.  The Outdoor Recreation Permit is necessary to check-in and check-out of areas outside of the FLW Cantonment Area for activities other than hunting, fishing, and wood cutting.

You can purchase permits by clicking on the "My Account" tab above.  After logging in, click on the "Available Permits" button.  Only permits that you qualify for will show up as available. If you qualify for free permits (Youth, Senior, Dissabled) you must visit the Natural Resources Office (building 11400 room 202) to validate your account.  Once validated, the free permits will show up for purchase. 

FLW Outdoor Recreation Permit

All persons recreating outdoors on FLW in areas outside of the cantonment area are required to obtain an Outdoor Recreation Permit.

All hunters and all anglers (even if fishing in the cantonment area) are required to obtain an Outdoor Recreation Permit in addition to a Sportsman Permit.

Recreating in or at DFMWR facilities, participating in DFMWR-sanctioned group events, or participating in other officially-sanctioned group events outdoors does not require iSportsman registration, the purchase of an Outdoor Recreation Permit, or checking in and out of the area.

If you are canoeing or kayaking with equipment rented from or provided by DFMWR in the Big Piney River, an FLW Outdoor Recreation Permit is not required nor is checking-in or checking-out.

No FLW Outdoor Recreation Permit is requied for recreating on or fishing the Big Piney River or Stone Mill Spring. The Big Piney River is considered waters of the state and Stone Mill Spring is part of U.S. Forest Service Mark Twain National Forest .

FLW Sportsman's Permits (Hunting and Fishing)

In addition to an Outdoor Recreation Permit, hunters and anglers must purchase a FLW Sportsman's Permit and seasonal permits if required.

No FLW Sportsman's Permit is required If you are fishing in the the Big Piney River or Stone Mill Spring. The Big Piney River is considered waters of the state and Stone Mill Spring is part of U.S. Forest Service Mark Twain National Forest. 

A free Sportsman's permit is available for hunters and anglers age 15 and under, age 65 and older, and disabled veterans (60% disability or greater).  You are required to validate your age or disability status in person at the Natural Resources Office (building 11400 room 202) before the free permit(s) will show up as available for purchase. If you are eligible for a free permit but purchase one anyway, we are not able to refund the purchase price.

The fees collected from the sale of hunting and fishing permits are placed in the Conservation Reimbursable Account in accordance with Federal Regulations (Sikes Act).   Up to 10% of these proceeds may be used for administrative costs of issuing hunting and fishing permits.  The remainder is required to be used in support of conservation activities such as habitat improvement.  Per Federal Regulations, these funds can not be used for recreational purposes or for the construction of recreational facilities.

Once a permit is purchased, no refunds will be given, regardless of the reason.

Missouri Department of Conservation Permits

In additon to FLW permits, all applicable state hunting and fishing licenses are required and can be purchased online at the Missouri Department of Conservation Hunting and Fishing Permits.


Step 5.   Check-In

Now that you have your permit(s), you are ready to check-in.  When you check-in, you will be selecting an activity (Hunting, Fishing, Wood Cutting, or Recreation) and you will be selecting the area or location.  A complete list of areas can be found under the "Areas" tab, above.

If you are Hunting, Fishing, or Woodcutting, you must select that specific activity when checking in.  If an activity does not show up, it is probably because you don't have a valid permit for that activity.  If you are Hunting, Fishing, or Wood Cutting, do not use the "Recreation" Activity.  "Recreation" is reserved for all activities that are not Hunting, Fishing, or Wood Cutting.

You are required to sign-in to all areas in range and training areas.  DPTMS maintains the list of areas (and their open/closed status) that you can recreate.  You can view the entire list of open and closed areas by clicking the "Areas" tab above.  If an area is not listed, you should assume that it is closed and/or not available for recreational purposes. 

If you are fishing on the Big piney River or Stone Mill Spring, you do not need to check in.

During inclimate weather, all hunting, fishing, and recreational areas will be closed when the road conditions are red or black.

You can check-in via the internet, smart-phone, or regular phone.  The phone number for checking in (and checking out) via phone is (844) 225-3227.  You will need your Permit Number and your PIN Number. 

To check-in, click the "My Account" tab above, log in if you need too, and then click the "Checkin/Checkout" button.

Failing to check-in may result in revocation of recreational privilages, tickets, fines, or other sanctions.


Step 6.   Recreate

After signing in, you can enter the area.  As you recreate, please be mindful that you are on a military base and follow the instructions of any military or civilian officials.  If for any reason you encounter ongoing unexpected military training activities, please exit the area promptly and report the incident to DPTMS Range Operations.  Military operations of any sort, of any magnitude, for any reason takes precedence over the recreational use of the area.

You must place a copy of your iSportsman Permit in your front windshield so that your iSportsman permit number is visible. The best method is to fold it in half and place it on the driver's side dashboard so that the permit number can be easily seen from outside the car.

You must carry a copy of your iSportsman permit with you.

The failure to have a copy of your iSportsman permit with you or the failure to display your permit number in your vehicle may result in the revocation of your recreational privileges, tickets, ans/or other sanctions.


Step 7.   Check-Out

When you are ready to leave the area, don't forget to check-out. If you don't, depending on the circumstances, it might be assumed that you are still in the area and in need of emergency assistance.

When you sign-out of a hunting or fishing activitiy, iSportsman may ask you to report your success.  This information is used by the Natural Resources Branch for conservation purposes.  Providing accurate information will help the Branch better manage the resources with the ultimatly goal of imroving the environment and your outdoor recreation experience.

If you are fishing on the Big piney River or Stone Mill Spring, you do not need to check in or check out.

Failing to check-out may result in revokation of recreational privilages, tickets, fines, or other sanctions.


Click here for the iSportsman User Guide